Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Border patrol checking train and bus stops

The last time I wrote on the topic of travel I focused on air travel. I neglected to write about other forms of travel such as trains, buses and cars. I get car sick so when ever I have to be in a car for an extended amount of time I'm always next to an open window, the same goes with buses. I've been on road trips before and having to deal with immigration or getting arrested never became a concern. Not having a car or a friend with a car, riding a train became the only manner in which I cold safely travel without any fear of being deported or arrested. After receiving an email a couple of days ago I gave riding the train a second thought. New American Media reported that riders riding Amtrak rail ways or Greyhound bus lines have been getting stopped by immigration officials/border patrol and checked for proper documentation. The majority of these checkpoints have been near the Canadian border in the northeast and even in the midwest. Agents are basically checking for proper documentation like the police checking to make sure people riding the train or bus have proper fair. All this means to me that even traveling on trains and buses is becoming just as dangerous are air travel. I wanted to go visit my family by taking the train or even going to the San Diego comic-con, but reading this story makes me think twice. In the story they write that the bus companies and train companies knew about the check points and border patrols presence at its boarding stations. They answered that despite knowing that border patrol will be on hand, they have no need or responsibility to warn their passengers of their presence. Of course there's racial profiling because they are trying to find people who aren't in the U.S. legally. This just goes to show you that the immigration battle continues to grow everyday and the longer it carries on without any positive legislation, it's only going to keep getting worse and worse. It might even reach the point of, God forbid, immigration officials checking regular bus stops. The story also had a video of the incident to go along with it by Andrew Burton


Caught in Transit: The Rochester Border Patrol Station from Newshouse on Vimeo.

7 comments:

monica said...

Love your unbridled commentaries.

Browne Molyneux said...

I've been trying to comment on your blog for weeks, but blogger and my computer are not compatible for some odd reason. I heard last year they were checking people on the METRO trains, outrageous. They have to have probably cause to search you and being brown shouldn't be probably cause, but I know how it should be and how it is...

El Random Hero said...

I remember hearing second hand stories about that but it never really made the news. It all comes down to special order 40 in the end.

Anonymous said...

These checks are long overdue. Illegal aliens think that once they cross over the border they can flout our laws with impunity. If the population of illegals were tiny, say 10-20 thousand, Americans would have no problem with another quick amnesty. However, the first amnesty was supposed to have been the last, and without the promised enforcement it encouraged another 12 million plus to come in and wait for the next amnesty. So we are owed the enforcement, and there is no obligation to give another amnesty to anyone.

El Random Hero said...

I'm personally not looking for any kind of amnesty because I didn't come from a country that is in extreme turmoil, there's a war going or anything like that. My parents basically followed the rest of our family over here to be near them and of course for a better quality of life. I don't want any kind of special treatment because if i did it would be unfair and unjust to all those other people who have migrated here legally and have put in their time, money and effort to become U.S. citizens. If it was me and the president face to face talking about immigration I would ask him to create a path way for immigrants like me who were brought as luggage at a young through school, like the Dream Act. All I want is a chance to work my way into this country. Being a citizen to me is more than a legal status, it's about being apart of the country that adopted me and cared after me growing up. That's why I haven't used any legal loop hopes or gotten into a green card marriage to attain citizenship. I have more respect for this country than to try and cheat my way in when other's have worked hard and waited their turn. But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

If u are not involved in any criminal activities such as illegal presence etc then you got no worries but if you are a criminal such as ewi's or people with expired papers then you have something to worry about... Your piece makes it seem like the agents are commiting an offense and the ILLEGAL aliens are innocent come on your full of it dude.... I'm tired of hearing fools demonize those for making people accountable for their actions... If you don't like being illegal and looking over your shoulder then go back to where you came from or get legal somewhere else otherwise tough luck

El Random Hero said...

anonymous, maybe it is my bad for making the piece bias and one sided but that's how I SEE IT. I know they're just doing there job and I don't condemn them for it. But to ask me to just leave and go back where I came from and legalize there is ignorant of you and sadly enough your opinion reflects the majority of others as well. How can I go back to a place I can barely even remember ? I may have been born in a different country but the U.S. adopted me and allowed me to get where I'm at today.