Wednesday, October 08, 2008

'Fast for our future'


On October 15th, over 100 people will begin one of the largest hunger strikes in American history to call on Latinos, immigrants, and people of conscience–the Immigrant Rights Movement–to rise out of our fear and vote for change. “The Fast for our Future” will be based in a permanent encampment at La Placita Olvera, the historic heart of Los Angeles, and will continue until at least 1 million people have signed this Pledge. Through our shared sacrifice and commitment we will renew our movement and inspire an historic mobilization of Latino, immigrant, and pro-immigrant rights voters. We must remember the I.C.E. raids, those detained and deported, the families torn apart, the dreams deferred. We must remember the marches, the walkouts, the boycotts, and the promise we made: “Hoy Marchamos, Manana Votamos.” Yesterday we marched for our rights, today we vote.

I am signing the petition because I'm going to support those who sign it and those who are going to fast. I'm also going to try to make a commitment to fast for one, but given my lifestyle and my responsibilities, I don't think I can make a full commitment. I urge anyone reading this post to sign the petition if you support it and to fast if you can, even if it's just for a few hours like me. The immigration problems the U.S. is facing cannot be overshadowed or forgotten, specially with the elections coming up. I can't vote, so I'm urging everyone I know to go and vote. Vote for what you believe in because there are some of us who don't even have that privilege. For further breakdown of the event and details go here....