Monday, April 13, 2009

Sunday Best



Technically as I write this, it's Monday but let's pretend it's still Easter Sunday. Anyway, one thing I have always hated was wearing your Sunday best on, well...Sunday. As a kid I would always break out the "nice" shirt, pants and shoes to go no where with my parents. "Where we going ?" I would ask my mom. "Al Sears" she would say. Man I still remember those days of bliss.

To me that was the norm, getting dressed up to go to a store or just because it's Sunday. Maybe it's a Mexican thing, maybe it's not, but no matter what its origins, I HATE IT. It's only know in my formative years that I stop to look back and realize the idiocy and absurdness of the things my family and I would practice. Sunday best was one of them and to this day, I STILL HATE WHAT IT IS. Sunday best represents how people can lose themselves trying to fit in to "society" and be another autonomous automaton in the world working at the assembly line, so to speak.

I still see it everyday Sunday when I'm going or coming from work. I can spot my own kind out like a sore thumb and at times it kills me to see them. I'm not gonna lie about, there's resentment and animosity stirring up within me when I see them. It's hard for me to explain what I feel, even through writing because I'm not sure what I'm feeling. I see them and I feel bad, sad, mad, happy and ignorant all at once. At the same time I connect with them because I'm no different than them. At one point in my life I was just like them, putting on my Sunday best to go to the mall or store, eat out and go back home early enough to get ready for the upcoming week. Rinse, lather and repeat was basically all I did and it kept going because I didn't know any better.

I mean, I have no fashion sense what so ever because I never put any value or attention to fashion outside of wearing shirts that had images of things I like and that were comfortable. To the day I still don't put much emphasis on clothing or fashion because I don't want to fall into that Sunday best cycle again. As a result, I end up wearing black a lot and if you didn't know any better, you'd swear I was some goth kid. I take pride in not putting an emphasis in fashion, but that makes me the odd man out and well, I realized that I have to have Sunday best clothes because I need them. I have never felt comfortable when ever I wear something nice. And, even at a great sale Sunday best can be pricey for something that is only worn once in a while.  

That's just how I am and I rarely dress up for anyone or anything. If I clean up it's because I'm serious about what I'm doing or because it business. Friends always joke with me whenever I do dress up because it's such a rarity and of course crack jokes, but it's all in fun. Nowadays the peer pressure of looking nice gets to me and I I'm starting to cave in. I haven't bought new clothes in 5 years straight, outside of chonies and shirts at events, so needless to say my wardrobe needs to be updated, BADLY.

Wearing black in 100 degree weather isn't good for anyone. Still, the concept of wearing Sunday best disgust me for personal reasons. That's why I make it a point to look EXTRA "rugged" when I go out. I get dissed and over looked a lot, but things suddenly change when I open my big mouth and say something either really smart-assy or just plain smart. They never suspected that underneath my rugged exterior lies a smart, talented young man. It's happens, don't worry about it. I take it as a compliment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you write that you feel some sort of resentment when you see people out in their "Sunday best"? It's not a bad thing. I think with time you might change your mind, specially when you have your own kids. I think that what you might be feeling is the result of hearing people bashing the "beaners". "Sunday best" not a Mexican thing. You are living in California remember? Sunny, laid back, cool. That's the attitude that is iconic California culture. In the East coast it's way different. Especially in the North East like DC, NY,Mass. A lot of people dress up in their "Sunday best" everyday there. It's part of the east coast culture........ but if you're talking about the mexican girls wearing m&!#@fU*^ing prom dresses to the indoor swap meet? that's a different story!! LOL. Don't sweat it. (SDChe)

El Random Hero said...

personally it's hard to explain because I don't even really know why I feel that way. One part of it is that because I was like that myself once. When I see others I think back to those times and how unaware I was of the world and of ideas and values that now guide my life. I see people in their "Sunday Best" and I think back to those times and I hate that. I never liked those times and I have a distant for it and what it stands for to me. You work all week and dress up on Sunday so you can go to some store or mall, eat fast food and get ready for the work week. To me there's sadness and pity in that kind of life. Going nowhere, wasting your time and letting the world pass you by. More than anything that's why I have resentment toward it.

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I have had the same type of feelings before. It's a sign that you are changing as a person. And that's a good thing. But do keep this in mind. Ignorance is bliss. You don't have to feel sorry for them, don't feel bad because you think they are trapped in a never ending rat race day in and day out. You will come to know that it's the simple things in life that make people happy. I bet those people you see out on sundays are very happy. Not a care in the world while they are living the moment, enjoying their day off from work. Also be careful not to let these feelings linger and turn you into a smug a$$ h@!& thinking that you are a way better person because you somehow feel more "aware of the world". That is called elitism and it's a very bad thing I'm sure you know. You can't change their situation, once you accept that and them, maybe you won't feel like you do. (SDChe)

queivette said...

and here i went and bought me an easter bday dress...

which i didn't get to wear. argh. parents...

Dee said...

Hero,
I think the a'ma's that teach their children to love God and to dress up on Sunday's are doing a good thing. I think back to those times when I was a poor little girl and my a'ma got me all dressed up. It didn't matter if we were poor. We were a family.

But I do agree with you. Maybe you are thinking these families do not know or act like they know they may never be wealthy and kidding themselves if they think racism or hate will ever end. I don't think it is being cynical to think this, maybe just more realistic.

I did the work thing. In business, I dressed for success and relaxed on weekends all for the money. I brought up my family, that's all that matters. Now that I am retired, I don't dress up anymore unless I feel like it. I am not out to impress anyone and if some sales wacko wants to treat me like a maid, then I go with it and walk away or shut the door. I also stand up for myself if the need arises.

So I guess what I am saying is, the ones that want to dress up, do it. Those of us that don't, don't have to dress up.