Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Encounters of the AB 540 kind

I'm writing this between classes and I'm super hungry, as per usual. Today in speech class I was talking to a fellow classmate about what we were going to do our perspective speeches on. It has to be persuasive and something that we are passionate about, hence the DREAM Act was a no brainer. I've given speeches and talks about it before and doing under the guide lines of the class will help me improve and refine it. I got all my info (pro and con) to back it up and now it's just a matter of making an outline and giving the speech.

During the chat he mentioned that he still didn't know what he was going to do it on and I mentioned to him what I was doing my on and what the DREAM Act is. He told me that he's an undocumented student as well. I didn't get a chance to tell him I was one too. So he was explaining to me how he pays cash for everything and that he got into CSUN, but couldn't afford the 6 g's in tuition, so he came to ELAC.

Weird how that works really. Every time someone talks about the DREAM Act, whether in a class room setting or in public, that's more people who are aware of it and how it can help. My class mate didn't know about it and I knew from the look of reaction I saw in his eyes. I'm positive that the rest of my class hasn't even heard about it either. My speech is on Monday and after today, I know that there is going to be at least one person who is going to benefit from it directly. Even if I speak in front of a thousand people and only one person is awakened, than that's one more person that will join the fight and help spread the word.

4 comments:

loveandhatela said...

Yeah it sucks that no matter how much you want to simplify your life, well that's my case, you still need money for everything and that most importantly applies to education very much.

Ive been "spending" less and being non-materialistic now for almost 6 years.
So once this global economic recession hit i was more than prepared.
I am still amazed when i hear of truly frugal families in the Midwest living on less than $40k and that's with 2 small kids.

While someone i know here in LA was bitching to me about barely getting by on $90K and they only have one child, and they just got back from a vacation in Hawaii.

Hey i said no to a trip to Palm Springs cause its the right thing to do.

el dicho- "Ahorra de Joven para Gozar de Viejo"

Anonymous said...

I noticed in your picture that you have a con side. What are the cons that you mentioned?

Anonymous said...

hey I read this article in the NYT. I'm not sure if you read the times. I was linked to it but found it was only for registered readers which subscription is free. Anyways, check it out. It is about illegal immigrants and long term health care. Wouldn't mind seeing a post response on your blog. Suerte.

Anonymous said...

i guess I should have given you the title.

"Hospital Falters as Refuge for Illegal Immigrants"