Monday, July 05, 2010

Hot dog wrapped in Bacon one the Fourth of July



Hot dog, hot dog with bacon

Hot dog, hot dog with bacon

two for five, two for five

Juice, water, soda

Juice, water, soda

The fire in the night sky lights my face in amazement

I can see beauty in destruction

I can smell and hear patriotism

Most importantly, I get a taste of what America is

A hot dog wrapped in bacon

I walk past the vendors and I see days of future past

Was it soo long ago that I was doing that ?

Raspados, fruit and hot dogs for sale on Cesar Chavez

I hear the moan and sigh of a 13 year old

Standing next to her mom as she tends to the grill

I see her little sister standing in front of a water cooler

Enunciating in perfect English, water, juice, soda

One dollar

The night is made into day once again with a continuous blast of red, white and blue

I see their faces and I see myself, my mother, father and sisters

Taking advantage of a situation and trying to make a dollar

They're seen and shooed away because their makeshift kitchens are hazards

The smell of hot dogs with bacon grilling in the open air is too powerful

I think about biting into one and I realize

The fourth of July to me is running scarred from the beach because there's a rumor going around that La Migra is around

It means blowing shit up with your friends down the street as my dad marinades carne asada with Budweiser

I look at the grill once again and see something I didn't notice

Those onions, peppers and jalapenos

They were hand picked by someone out in some field

That bun cooking, it was made by an immigrant working illegally in a factory in the Midwest

Just like the hot dog and the bacon wrapped around it

Now that's what I can a good old fashion American made hot dog

Que la Virgen bless these United States of America

You two faced son of a bitch