Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Everyday reminders



It wasn't until my friend Nancy pointed out something that was right in our faces that I took notice. Here in LA, the Metro Gold Line route passes right in front of the Metropolitan Detention Center. A few blocks away from Union Station and from the Twin Towers jail. Whether it was being able to see the detention center from the window of the train or passing by on by/car, it serves not only as a reminder of where I could end up, but where others who get caught up in the system do end up.

That's why when Nancy noticed that you can see the folks inside through the windows, it took the mind fuck to another level. Seeing the faces and hands hanging on the bars, looking out the window, it's some intense stuff. And it's even sadder to say that no one ever really notices this. Everyone is listening to music or reading a book, going on about their day on the train, never really noticing those who are imprisoned. For both Nancy and I, it's a daily reminder of why we do what we do. So no one has to end up there, locked up and stripped of your humanity.







is one that has a long history as working class families from the eastside commute west

1 comment:

Emily said...

I will watch your blog with great interest- you are a hero because you face a system that is now actively seeking to exclude our Hispanic neighbors. I have to admit to you: your struggle is very personal to me.
My father was the son of an undocumented worker from Mexico- this was in the 30s and she died here in childbirth, but was not in obituaries here because of it. She was "lost" and remains so- I can't find her place of burial, but I have come close recently. I think of this relationship I have with Mexican immigrants all the time- once I felt inclined to relocate to the Southwest US but I can't abide the politics there and the issues surrounding the border would cut too deeply for me! I'd not be on the "right" side, if you catch my meaning! I hope that this new turn of policy might protect more people who are here without documentation. The cost of passports has increased four-fold and while I think this was meant originally to prevent terrorism, it served another purpose- to get
'illegals' out of here and vilify them to allow corporations to further tighten their grip on citizens here! Sickens me- without my 'illegal' grandmother- I'd not be here! We tend to embrace those who landed on this continent as the pioneer heroes, now we're still trying to control who gets to stay and who goes!
-Forever on your side, Emily